Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:39:37 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        dave@netcarrier.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micro-adjusting system clock?

In the last episode (Aug 17), dave@netcarrier.com said:
> Wow, thanks. xntpd is quite a beast, and the man page reads like War
> and Peace. Here are a few follow-up questions:
>
> - when xntpd synchronizes with another host, does it do
> micro-adjustments to prevent time wrinkles (even the first time), or
> does is do one big adjustment?

It slews if the difference if under 128 msecs, and steps otherwise.  It
will not step if the clock is more than 1000 seconds off.

> - is there a way to run it "standalone", ie, to adjust a clock on an
> unnetworked server?

You can have it use the internal clock as a time source.  I usually do
this in my ntp.conf:

peer mypeer.host.com
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

That tells ntp that it has two time sources; mypeer.host.com and
127.127.1.0 (which is a codename for the internal clock).  The internal
clock is set to a stratum of 10, which makes it very low priority.
when your net connection is up it will sync to mypeer.host.com.  For
the rest of the time it will free-run on its own clock.

see http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ for more information.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com