Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:28:43 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Roger M. Levasseur" <rml@midnight.mv.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommend 8mm exabyte drives?

On 11 Jan 97 at 11:51, Roger M. Levasseur proclaimed:

> If you are prepared to use and treat the drive as mentioned, ok, otherwise
> stay clear.  When I got a tape drive for my home pc in 1994, I had
> considered 8mm, 4mm, and QIC.  For reasons based on cost, reliability,
> and the above factors, I went with a QIC-525.  The density doesn't compare,
> but I've had zero problems in 3 years of usage.  I don't have enough
> experience to know if 4mm is better or worse than 8mm in terms of
> reliability.  These days, if money wasn't an issue, I would pick DLT
> over 8mm.

Just look in any Server oriented magazine and look at the backup
system advertisements.  There are usually a few 8mm but usually over
80% of the ads are for DLT these days.   Of course, be prepared to
hand over the gold to get one.

Unfortunately, some of us using tapes for some time now still
remember the '8200 (cringe).  DLT's have a even more shady past, but
it's much farther in the past (TK50, anyone?).

Please forgive my attempt at levity...

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com