Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:27:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Subject:   MAKEDEV all

Dear FreeBSD Stabilizers,

    The following is a bit flow of conciousness, like it happened.
I believe the conclusion is that 3.0-STABLE's MAKEDEV needs
updating, or the makefiles need updating to update MAKEDEV

    Here's the story:

    My system won't boot at all.  It has been fine, but I took it
down to add another drive.

    I can read / and /etc/fstab and get the directory of /dev, all
at the prompt #.
    The messages below are correct.  /fstab refers to /dev/wd0s1a
						      /dev/wd0s1e
						      /dev/wd0s1f
BUT! These files are indeed not there in /dev !

    How could I have had the system up at all?  Perhaps a
sh MAKEDEV all
that I performed wiped out these devices, and I haven't
happened to have rebooted since then.

[Boot messages ....

    can't stat /dev/wd0s1a: No such file or directory
    /dev/wd0s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
		 UNEXPECTED INSCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
    Automatic file system check failed ... help!
]

    Here's how I got out of this jam:
# mount /dev/wd0s1 /usr             # Now the / is writable as /usr
# cd /usr/dev                       # This is really /dev
# ./MAKEDEV wd0s1a
chgrp: not found                    # Is this going to hurt me someday?
# ls wd0*                           # all the slices a-g are there!
# reboot

     I don't believe I'll do a 'MAKEDEV all' to repeat this, unless
a developer asks me to suffer for data for the cause.

FreeBSD barnes1.wustl.edu 3.0-STABLE FreeBSD 3.0-STABLE #0: Tue Feb  9 13:14:45 CST 1999
wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu:/usr/src.3.0-stable/sys/compile/GENEONE  i386

                   -- Wayne M. Barnes    wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu