Date:      02 Aug 2000 11:57:17 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-3/4

Sorry for not returning to this topic sooner.

 * From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>

 * As an extension of your idea I propose to add small script being installed along with XFree
 * port, which would tell version of XFree (something like [gnome,gtk,xml]-config, i.e.:
 *
 * $ /usr/X11R6/bin/xfree-config --version
 * 3360
 *
 * Then at least the people which installing Xfree from ports would be saved from the need to
 * adjust /etc/make.conf. Those who opt to install pre-built packages from XFree86.org could use
 * your method by explicitly specifying XFree version in make.conf.

Hmm.  I actually wanted to make it explicit, so that users have to
make a conscious decision on when to switch to the new version.  When
they change it in make.conf, version 4 will be automatically installed
and will be used throughout thereafter.

I don't really intend to support going back from XFree86-4 to 3, as
that will require we prepare a similar set of split-up ports for 3.
This is purely so early adopters can test XFree86-4 without having to
edit a million Makefiles.

Thinks of this as a "button".  You push it once, it will switch you
from XFree86-3 to 4 forever.

 * P.S. Also please considering to make XFREE86_VERSION to be 4-digit number (i.e. 3360, 4010
 * etc), so we the ports will have a chance to distinguish between minor revisions it the need
 * arises.

No, that would just confuse our users.  We aren't going to have
XFree86-4 and XFree86-401 and XFree86-41 port sets in the tree at the
same time, so we can't switch between them.

 * From: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>

 * Looks good.  However, there's one more issue.  XFree86-4.x installs
 * libXaw.so.7 (as opposed to .6 for 3.x) -- x11-toolkits/Xaw3d
 * generates its shared library number to be the same as the installed
 * libXaw, so that PLIST, and anything that depends on Xaw3d, will
 * need to be treated in a similar manner.

That is why I put these lines:

XAWVER=		7
PLIST_SUB+=	XAWVER=${XAWVER}

(and corresponding ones for the XFree86-3 case).

 * From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <scot@gifw.genroco.com>

 * 	<---- Missing .endif?

Oops, you are right.  Thanks, fixed.

Satoshi