Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:48:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: add users

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Brian Henning wrote:

> Hello,
> typically when i add users to my machine i use /stand/sysinstall and go
> through the menu and add users. I usually change the path to the shell to
> /bin/tcsh. when the user logs in for the first time they get a '>' for a
> prompt. Is there a way i could set a different prompt as a default when i
> add new users?

Of course :) If you're using the C shell/tcsh shell, edit
/usr/share/skel/dot.cshrc so it reflects your favourite prompt. For
example, since I like to know who I am and where I am, mine says:

	set prompt = "%B${USER}@%~%b: "

As you create users, the files in /usr/share/skel are copied over to
their new home directory, but the word "dot" is changed to "."  So I
usually create a dot.xinitrc and place it in there as well.

Dru