Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:40:50 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Doug@gorean.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (2) hey

Doug <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:

>Nothing in either RFC that you quoted, or any of your examples
>contradicted my actual point, which was that PTR records are not
>valid outside of in-addr.arpa name space.

AFAICT the second example I gave has a valid PTR record outside
in-addr.arpa. To give you a more concrete example I've reconfigured
the reverse DNS for dotat.at to change some time after midnight UTC to
use the RR "rev.dotat.at. PTR dotat.at."

>If you believe they are, give valid working examples and explain
>their meaning, since there currently is not a definition for their
>use outside of in-addr.arpa.

It means that rev.dotat.at points to dotat.at. When the
134.240.212.in-addr.arpa zone updates itself rev.dotat.at will be the
canonical name for 130.134.240.212.in-addr.arpa so reverse lookups
will work as expected.

You might also want to look at RFC 1886 which defines the ip6.int
domain, which like in-addr.arpa is full of PTR RRs.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    dot@dotat.at    fanf@demon.net    e pluribus unix