Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:11:08 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Frank Volf <frank@deze.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building ports in jails after staging support

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:30:18 +0100
Frank Volf <frank@deze.org> wrote:

> Anybody  r this question?
> I'm really struggling with it.

	Not directly, I stopped building ports inside jails (except for
port building jails) some time back.

	These days I use poudriere on a build machine to build all the
ports I want built with my chosen options and present them in a package
repository which I export by http with thttpd (any web server will do).
Then all my jails and machines (physical or virtual) have a file
/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf with one line setting packagesite to point to my
repository.

	 Once set up it's very easy to manage, updating the repository is
as simple as:

poudriere ports -u
poudriere bulk -f <file with list of wanted packages> -j build

	Updating a jail or machine:

pkg upgrade

	Possibly twice if pkg itself is updated. I have in the past needed
to add a -f to force it to update everything but not for a while now so
whatever caused that problem is probably fixed.

	The level of pain is vastly reduced compared to the old days of
portupgrade. The only tricky bit is the need to use multiple repositories if
you want to have multiple builds of the same port available which
complicates the build arrangements a bit and the pkg configuration. I
haven't needed to do that so I can't say just how fiddly it would be, but
it looks to be fairly straightforward.