Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 17:23:24 +0000
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc:        nash@mcs.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES vs MD5

Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 1996, Alex Nash wrote:
>
> > > I'm sitting here on a -current system where MD5 encryption has been installed
> > > and i am trying to compile the htpasswd utility in the apache-1.0.5 src
> > > (right from a ports tree that i supped 10 minues ago). It fails,
> >
> > I haven't looked at the Apache port, but I suspect your build is failing
> > because it's not linking with libcrypt.  Add the following to
> > support/Makefile:
> (...)

> -Mit

But you will find that the apache does not recognize your passwords, or at least that's
what I experienced. Do I need to install DES (and recompile several programs that I
built for MD5), as I had to do for the CERN server on another machine, or is there
something else I could do ?

I know that this subject was discussed in recent messages (I found it at the list
archives at www.freebsd.org), but they were imprecise about this latest version of
Apache fixing it or not.

My Apache version is 1.05, and my FreeBSD is 2.1-R

Carlos

Carlos Amengual - Sociedad Astronómica de España y América
Avenida Diagonal, 377, 2  -  08008 Barcelona  -  Spain
amengual@sadeya.cesca.es  -  http://www.sadeya.cesca.es/