Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:49:19 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        stanb@panix.com
Cc:        jhb@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Vectra 5/90 hard disk boot disaster continues!

John Baldwin wrote:
> On 17-Dec-00 stanb@panix.com wrote:
> > This is fast aproaching ridiculous!
> >
> > This bloody &$#@$$#!! machine just doesn't want to run FreeBSD.
> >
> > Found a CD (a second one BTW the machine would see, but not read the first
> > one!) installed it, and created boot floppies from my 4.0 CD set.
> >
> > Booted off the CD's choose "Install Boot Manager", chose FreeBSD boot
> > manager, and it STILL boots up to the "F1 FreeBSD" prompt, and will only
> > rewatd me with angry beeps no matter what I do there.
>
> It sounds like the geometry that your BIOS is using for your hard drive doesn't
> match the geometry that sysinstall is using during the installation.  Get into
> the BIOS and write down the geoemtery it has for your hard drive.  Reinstall
> and when you are in the fdisk editor in sysinstall use 'g' to set the geometry
> if they do not match.

Also, choosing the "standard MBR" rather than "boot manager" option
in sysinstall should get you better diagnostics.

If you're still unable to boot from the hard drive, try using the
install floppy to get as far as the boot loader, then interrupt the
countdown, and switch to the hard disk.  See if you can boot that way,
or if you can get a directory listing of the hard drive / partition.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org