Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:40:22 GMT
From:      Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/93705: [patch] ENODATA and EGREGIOUS (for glibc compat)

The following reply was made to PR kern/93705; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>
To: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:36:17 +0100

 On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:35:48PM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 02:53:56PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
 > R> Please could you add ENODATA and EGREGIOUS errno codes for compatibility with
 > R> Glibc systems?
 > R>
 > R> They have the same meaning as ENOATTR and EDOOFUS, respectively.
 > R>
 > R> As a side benefit, in the case of EDOOFUS this might be of interest to the Apple
 > R> developers who complained about this macro name (i.e. they could use EGREGIOUS in
 > R> Darwin exclussively if they want).
 >
 > The ENODATA error code is standardized as a part of XSI streams:
 >
 > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/basedefs/errno.h.html
 >
 > I don't think we should hardcode it equal to ENOATTR, which is a BSD specific
 > code, afaik.

 Linux uses ENODATA for no attribute errors, which afaik is the same as ENOATTR.

 However since the XSI definition is more generic as you point out, perhaps it'd
 be better to rename ENOATTR to ENODATA and make ENOATTR an alias for ENODATA
 instead?

 --
 Robert Millan