Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 22:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Amaru Netapshaak <postfix_amaru@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: 7.0/i386 to 8.0/amd64 - gmirror/gstripe migration

> Hi!
>=20
> I am planning to move from 7.0-REL-i386 to 8.0-REL-amd64=20
<SNIP!>
> Does anyone foresee any serious problems with this=20
> plan?=A0 I know doing a whole version upgrade can
> sometimes introduce=20
> bugs when dealing with old setups, so I just want to cover
> my bases prior to the work.

This sounds like the kind of thing "Release notes" were designed for. I was=
 not able to find them on the first page of the FreeBSD website, but if you=
 click the big "Get FreeBSD Now" button, there is a link in the table detai=
ling the releases:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/relnotes.html

>=20
> I am backing up this system to another=20
> system, so if I end up losing the data or having to rebuild
> the
> array, that's fine, it just sucks having to copy the 2TB of
> data over the wire afterward.

Good idea ;)

FreeBSD no longer supports "dangerously dedicated" UFS filesystems (section=
 2.2.5 of Detailed release notes) but I'm not sure if that is possible with=
 gmirror.

> Thanks for your help!
>=20
> ++AMARU

PS: Your reply to yourself was in the same digest message. Not everybody is=
 in your timezone either.

Regards,

James Phillips

=0A=0A