Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:42:27 +0100
From:      Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Reuben <rapopp@marvin.eastcentral.edu>, John Rushford <jjr@alisa.org>, FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org, Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Subject:   Re: Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?

I have this issue only with amd64, not with i386. Both on the same
hardware with up to date 8.0-CURRENT.

In the not booting (amd64) version the following both lines, which
indicate the detection of disks, are absent:

ad4: 381554MB <SAMSUNG HD401LJ ZZ100-15> at ata2-master SATA300
ad6: 476940MB <SAMSUNG HD501LJ CR100-11> at ata3-master SATA300.

I think the boot loader is ok, because I can load old amd64 kernel
structures (before Oct. 9th 2008), but no newer one on this hardware.

I have no clue what could be reason. Perhaps you are right with your
suspicion about a kernel config problem?

Please let me know if I can help.

Thank you,
Rainer