Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:54:24 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Hurf Sheldon <hurf@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "make installworld" from nfs directory

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:40:53AM -0500, Hurf Sheldon wrote:
> Hi folks,
> We've built oa 4.2-STABLE /usr/src (loaded with cvsup) tree by
> running "make buildworld", then a "make installworld" on machine "A"
> (originally a 4.0-RELEASE), then built a new kernel, which worked fine.
> Now we NFS mount the machine "A":/usr/src to machine "B":/usr/src (also
> 4.0-RELEASE)

I hope you NFS mounted /usr/obj also. Otherwise it won't work.

> and run "make installworld" which dies with the message:
> "install: /usr/src/include/osreldate.h: No such file or directory"
> The build logon machine "A" says this file was created on the fly during
> the "make buildworld" by 'newconf.sh' . Do we have to do a "make
> buildworld" on every
> system? Is there a way to re-create the file? Dagnabbit, we hope not!
>
> What we'd like is to have the compiled tree mountable for installs.

It is certainly possible to build on one machine and install it on another,
I have done it several times.
The steps to follow are simply:
On machine A:
  make buildworld
  make buildkernel
On machine B:
  NFS mount A:/usr/src to b>/usr/src and A:/usr/obj to B:/usr/obj
  make installkernel
  make installworld
  mergemaster

At least that works for me.