Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 03:05:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Identd problems on -current of 980724

> > Just identd broke ?
>
> As far as I can tell, yes.
>
> > > PS: Predictor-1 was broken in that snap; I was noticing strage connection
> > > hangs to some sites. They went away when I disabled it.
> >
> > Predictor-1 compression hasn't changed.  Have you tried disabling TCP
> > extensions ?  If this doesn't work, you'll need to supply some more
> > information.
>
> Well, identd was broken even before I disabled Predictor-1....and disabling
> TCP extensions does not fix it. FWIW< disabling TCP extensions didn't help
> the connection hangs either...disabling Pred-1 did.

Did you recompile libkvm, reinstall it, and then recompile and install
the identd?

The identd relies on kernel structures; specifically,it relies on being
able to access the system open file table and traverse it to identify
the socket connected to the remote host, then looks up the credential
based on the contents of teh cred, before passing it back to the requesting
system.

You may also want to make sure it is running as root.  If not, it will
not be able to get a reserved port.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---