Date:      Sat, 11 May 2013 03:34:47 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List Spam Filtering

Hi,

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 09 May 2013 02:26:26 +0200
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
>

> > If list write access was changed to Subscribers Only:
>
> some lists are like this anyway. Why are not all like this?

Good question. I don't know why. I wish all were, it would keep spam out.

To allow a free-er environment for us than that might first give:
Taking the syntax of majordomo as an example to illustrate an idea in
	(I know Freebsd.org moved on to Mailman, but I'm assuming/
	hoping Mailman is at least equally as flexible as Majordomo;
	& as I'm an administrator for Majordomo lists, & have tried
	the idea below & seen it work, I can quote syntax for it correctly)

Given a list eg scsi@freebsd might exist that happended to go from open to
	restrict_post = scsi
ie write only for subscribers, it could easily be made eg
	restrict_post = scsi questions hackers
So others in eg questions who had occasional scsi specific questions
could be referred to post there without person needing to subscribe to
scsi@ as a regular (& agreed, just hope all respondents CC

Most list config files could do that, so it would be equally possible
for eg someone subscribed to hardware@ to answer a question posted
to questions@, even if the answering hardware@ person was not
personaly subscribed to & reading every post to questions@.
questions@ could have a questions.config with something like:
	restrict_post = questions hackers current ports scsi etc....

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".