Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:34:17 -0700
From:      Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cat and computer tales

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> Rob wrote:
> > On to lighter topics... :)
> >
> > I'm interested in hearing about "Cat clashes with Computer tales."  I
> > have noticed that ours seems to regard my laptop as a competitor,
> > thinking I have more affection for it then she.  It typically will place
> > itself between my head and the keyboard.  One day it was purring very
> > loud and annoying me, so I issued the command "cat /dev/dsp > file" and
> > let it run for a while.  I later converted it to an mp3 and played it
> > back on my Klipsh system.  There was this thundering purring sound and
> > me faintly in the background saying "bad kitty, bad kitty".
> >
> > Rob.
>
> A friend of mine have (or had, dont know if its still alive) a
> cat that for some reason saw it as its duty to make sure that my
> friends computers was running allright.
> The cat was often found sitting in the computer room, looking at
> the 4-5 computers located there, and it seemed like he was
> checking that all computers was running by watching power leds,
> hdd activity leds and listening for fans spinning.
> Occasionally, a computer overheated, rebooted or stopped, and if
> the cat was around to notice this, he would immediatly go to find
> my friend and tell him about it. I saw this happen a few times,
> and I think that the PC speaker beeping when the machine booted
> up is what triggered the cat. When it heard the beeps, it ran off
> to my friend, and started walking back and forth in front of him,
> making weird sounds, almost screaming. When my friend went to
> check the computers and calmed the cat by saying that they were
> running allright, it settled down and went back to sleeping,
> eating or whatever it was doing before.
> Im almost certain the PC speaker beeps is what triggered this
> behaviour. If you were using the computers, and maybe did a
> multiple match tab completion or something else that makes the PC
> speaker go beep, the cat would immediatly react by looking
> nervous and follow your every move.
>
> We had a discussion about this once, and my friend told me that
> when the cat was just a kitten, one of the computers lost a fan,
> overheated and started beeping like crazy. The cat, curious as
> cats always are, went there to examine what the hell all this
> noise was about. What exactly happened is anyones guess, but when
> my friend entered the room, he found the cat stuck under a
> knocked over fulltower case, pressed against the PSU fan,
> fighting furiously to free itself from the spinning fan.
> The speaker was still beeping, and my guess is that the cat
> somehow connected the beating it recieved from the fan with the
> beeping of the PC speaker, thus starting its lifelong fear of
> beeping PC speakers.
>
> --

Thats hilarious.  We have a kitten that spend about a half and hour one
day just looking at my ethernet switch:)  I think the blinking lights
set them off.  Another time and another cat-  I was working on my laptop
and out of the corner of my eye saw the cat starting to make a leap (3
ft away) towards my laptop.  I stuck my hand up, and boom, the cat
bounced back onto my bed.  It never did that again.

Rob.