Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:53:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Greg Fraize <greg@oz.plymouth.edu>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp.secret

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Greg Fraize wrote:

> ppp -ddial home

Which will put ppp in the background.

> II keep getting error abour some file called ppp.secret...
> what is that file used for ..and what should I put in
> it...thanks

When ppp is run, it by default listens to port 3000+tunnel device id
(usually 0).  By telneting into that port, you can control ppp, run
commands, etc, etc, and since it is run as root, this could pose a big
security problem.  To combat this, you need to edit ppp.secret, and add a
line in there with the name of your computer (not the fqdn), a tab, and a
password.  Without this, you'll get an error, and it won't listen to port
3000.  With the entry, whomever tries to telnet to port 3000 to access
your/control your ppp program, they'll need to enter a password before
gaining access to any significant commands.

- alex