Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:09:11 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        jesse_gross@yahoo.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC 3.2

> Yes, moving to gcc32 is highly desirable for -current, otherwise we
> will be stuck at gcc311 for the entire life of FreeBSD 5.x.  The
> important question to ask is, who will do the dirty work?

Moving to GCC 3.2 will do us no good. The lifetime of the 3.2 release
will be pretty short and 3.3 is supposed to replace it pretty soon. If
we stick with 3.2 in  -CURRENT, we'll find ourself tied to an old and
unsupported release for the whole 5.x line, i.e. we'll risk to repeat
2.95.x story yet again.

David O'Brien proposes to move -CURRENT directly to the 3.3 CVS
shanshots, bypassing the GCC 3.2 version altogether. Early FreeBSD 5.x
release(s) will not be polished for general consumption anyway, so that
makes sense. By the time FreeBSD stabilizes, GCC 3.3 release will be
ready.

--
Alexander Kabaev