Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:07:15 +0200
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Maksym Marchenko <marchenk@in.tum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless Install

Maksym Marchenko wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I try to install 4.10 on headless PC(without a monitor and vga output)
> So I've used my laptop as a serial console (via null modem cable).
> All was wonderfull, but after end of install procedure und reboot,
> I see with this terminal (cu -l /dev/cuaa0) all and the date for
> the login line. But not the login prompt. So I can't to log in and
> do anything.
> What have I to do, to log in this headless PC?

Maksym, you need to start a getty process on the serial line,
by editing /etc/ttys like this:

console none                            unknown off secure
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure

In /stand/sysinstall (or /usr/sbin/sysinstall), you can edit
ttys.

I'm running 5.2-CURRENT on net4801 Soekris hardware, and this
is exaclty what is needed to get login prompt on the serial
console.

Good luck!

cpghost.

--