Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:00:42 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk12-beta needs jfc as dependancy?

* Koster, K.J. <K.J.Koster@kpn.com> [010116 15:54]:

> > <rant>
> >
> > "class SwingSet not found"
> > (this *after* java -v clearly says 'loaded SwingSet from
> > SwingSet.jar')
> >
> It is my experience that the error message above should be read as follows:
>
> "class SwingSet wanted to load some class it depends on, which, for some
> unspecified reason failed. class SwingSet is *not* going to tell you which
> class it tried to load, nor what the problem was, because, frankly, class
> SwingSet could't care less if you find out what you're doing wrong or not."
>
> </rant> :)

The Java vision (especially RMI/Jini) is amazing.
Unfortunately, we are stuck with a cross-platform language that isn't
even portable between JDK versions...and don't get me started on Netscape's
applet security model....grrr.

> While we're on the subject of braindead debugging output, is there someone
> with Tomcat expertise who will answer some questions about it? Thanks in
> advance.

Have you tried the Tomcat mailing lists?

Not subscribed myself, but they're referenced in the 'Jakarta' sections
of java.apache.org.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns