Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 22:16:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
Cc:        Tony Clark <tonyc@compnews.co.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9gig disk for freebsd

Just a personal note:  Do yourself a favor and stay AWAY from the
Micropolis 1991 (9GB) and 1936 (3.6GB) drives.  We've replaced 15-20 (have
to check to be sure) of these drives since the first of the year,
accounting for 60-70% of all drive failures.

FYI: the remaining failures have generally been SGI (IBM OEM) stiction
drives (like the old Quantum Pro Drives from Sparc-II's we revive them by
pulling them out and slinging them at arms length back and forth.  When
that doesn't work we hold them at 3" increasing intervals and drop them
until they work or something falls off).  We've also lost some OLD
Wrens and had a batch of bad 'Cudas (Firmware).  Finally; I'm REAL happy
with the Fujistu 4.2GB drives and would recommend them highly.

--
Rob Snow
Sr. Systems Administrator