Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:05:40 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Announcing new distributed.net Team FreeBSD site]]

Please don't take me wrong, Jesus. I think it's a great development
platform from which to GET somewhere, just as freebsd is a great
starting point for a web "killer app". However, I don't see (at least
from your homepage) that you're doing anything in parallel YET except
synchronous starting and stopping of processes which are discrete and
already on each computer's hard disk. I'm sorry if I offended you with
the word "junk". Shit,  my "target" machine is a 486 lunchbox.

However, words aside, the reality is that a network does not a parallel
machine make. You've got a place to start from, but you've still got to
build the parallel code and produce results, just as I have to build
code before my beloved FreeBSD will become a killer app. There's no news
in a bunch of machines hooked together and working in lockstep, it's
been done before. What's really new? Is there something really new? I
didn't see it on your website, and I'm a programmer. You've got to have
something that a beancounter or a suit can say "wow" to, and I don't see
it.

I'm not going to manufacture hocus pocus out of vaporware, sorry. I
leave that to Microshit Corp. If it's arrogance to insist that you give
me something WORTH shouting about before I open my mouth, then damn
fucking right I'm arrogant -- and proud of it. THAT is the BSD way:
performance counts.

I'm sorry you took it wrong, but it wasn't a miracle that got BSD
released, it was a hard fight by a lot of determined people. I don't
have the time to add my coding shoulder to your wheel, that's what you
really need at this point. Damn, guy, I know what a parallel machine is,
I've hooked together distributed systems with thousands of
microcontrollers spread over 10 square miles and a tell-me-thrice
multicpu controller on top of it. You give me something real, and I'll
gladly shout it around the globe, so loud we'll turn Aricebo inside out
from the reflections off the moon, but I can't work from a wish and a
prayer.

You get Gary Kline (tao@thought.org, I think) to tell me you've got
something real here, or you show me something more integrated than
socket-spawning over a network, and we can talk press. Until then,
please don't ask to get laughed at. I wasn't laughing. If you read my
reply you'll see that I was being rather gentle, but putting out a PR
about a toy network will get you/us/FreeBSD laughed off slashdot and
everywhere else.
--
Donald Wilde              "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media