Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:58:37 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Quintin Oliver" <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sysintall keeps dumping core :(

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:42:51 +0100 (BST), Quintin Oliver wrote:

>Without touching the machine, I tried to run /stand/sysinstall, it runs,
>then crashes when I select 'Post-Install'-'Packages' as soon as it gets
>the INDEX from ftp.freebsd.org, it crashes out: sysintall: exited in
>signal 10 dumped core (bus error).

To me, it sounds like you have a hardware resource conflict, like an
interrupt being shared.
When you boot, enter "-c" at the boot: prompt and go into the
configuration visual editor by entering "v"
The screen will be divided into top and bottom sections.  The two
sections contain all the device drivers that are available in the
current kernel (GENERIC, if you haven't built your own yet). In the top
section, "uncollapse" each section and look at each device, and check
for the word "Conf" in inverse video, indicating an interrupt or i/o
address conflict.  If you find any, you'll have to find an unused
interrupt to assign to one of the devices or an unused i/o address
range.