Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 2009 02:45:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   7.2 serial console/getty problem

Howdy,

I'm having some issues getting a working serial console on a 7.2-amd64
system (Dell PE 2970).  Everything is running at 9600bps to keep things
simple (BIOS, loader, getty).  Normal DB-9 null cable to another host.
/etc/ttys has getty on ttyd0 with the "std.9600" gettytab entry and vt100
terminal type.

The following works fine:

-Console redirection via Dell's BIOS (I can enter setup, navigate BIOS,
enter RAID config, etc.)
-Boot loader (can enter boot params, select boot options, etc.)
-Boot messages (displays fine)

However once the machine boots and getty has control, things get a bit
odd.

I've tested this with various hosts using minicom and conserver
(conserver.com).  No problems with my other hosts running older versions
of FreeBSD with the same settings (9600, 8N1, hw flow control).

If I just hit "enter", I get a response like this:

noooo~:oommv64(jkoomimnnwwou})(|t}}t9-

It does not vary - always the same string.

However, if I hit CTRL-D, then I get a normal prompt:

FreeBSD/amd64 (bigmail.bway.net) (ttyd0)

login:

If at the "login:" prompt I just hit "enter" again without typing a
username, I get the same garbled output.

CTRL-D again gives me a proper prompt.

Once I'm logged-in, there seem to be no issues.  "vi", "top" and other
things that rely on the terminal being sane work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

___