Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:35:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compile time

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >Which Controller and harddisk do you have ? Sounds to me as if it's
> >a little slow for a Pentium Pro clone ?!

It's a PCI-IDE controller, with a Quantum FireBall 1080MB drive.

> The Cyrix 6x86 is NOT a Pentium Pro clone.  It is a _Pentium_ (P5)
> clone.  The Cyrix marketing department calls it a 6x86 because it is

I think they also call it a 6x86 for marketing reasons - you know,

586, then the 686. Also, AMC released the 5x86 and 586, so......

> faster than a Pentium of the same clock speed.  It plugs into a
> Pentium socket and runs in a Pentium motherboard.

And very nicely too ;-)

> According to all my benchmark extrapolation, the 6x86 is in fact
> slightly to significantly slower than a Pentium Pro of the same bus
> speed.

It's a lost slower than a PPro, and probably on heavily intensive
operations,the same speed as a Pentium with the same clock speed.

> You should think of the 6x86 as half way between a Pentium and a
> Pentium Pro.

More like 10% more Pentium than Pentium.

---
Khetan Gajjar	       [ http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan  ]
UUNet Internet Africa  [ 0800-030-002 & help@iafrica.com ]
Get rid of Telkom....  [      http://www.ispa.org.za     ]
I'm a FreeBSD User!    [      http://www.freebsd.org     ]
Any opinions stated in this message are personal.
UIA's official policy may not be reflected in this message.