Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:13:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        root@acromail.ml.org (0000-Administrator)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info files.

0000-Administrator stands accused of saying:

> Why are there info files for the g++ library but no info files for the
> plain old c library.

Because the g++ library is a GNU library, whilst the C library is
Berkeley-derived.  The latter has an excellent collection of manpages.

> I learned most of what I know about network
> programming from the libc info files for linux --- either that or what is
> some good docs for general app/net programming under freebsd In particular
> the short and to the point examples of how the structures (and their
> definitions) are used (all stuff that is in the gnu c library info files).

The standard answer :

 "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", and "Unix Network
Programming", both by W. Richard Stevens.

Any halfway decent bookstore will be able to get these.

> Does freebsd actually use the gnu c library, can someone explain what it
> uses and where I can get a book that explains how to use all the system
> calls? (yes, I do know about man pages)

FreeBSD does not use the GNU C library, and likely never will.