Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:31:57 -0500
From:      "Boegly, Leo S" <leo.s.boegly@lmco.com>
To:        "Freebsd Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FREEBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kernel pppd

Need a little help.

I'm trying to connect to my ISP using kernel pppd 2.3.5 . I'm able to login
to my ISP using 'chat', but when pppd tries to negotiate a dynamic I.P. adx
& a default route, it dies. I've found the following messages" LCP timeout
sending configuration requests".

Here's the kicker,  IT WORKS VERY INTERMITTENTLY! Roughly 1 out of 20
attempts complete a connection. Once I connect to my ISP, everything works
fine.

I've read the man pages for 'pppd' an tweaked the /etc/ppp/options file
NUMEROUS times without any luck. I've changed modem connections speeds
manually using various "AT" commands without any luck. I do not believe my
ISP is at fault because I can connect to it with my LINUX BOX, running
Slackware 7.1. If this sounds familiar to anyone out their, or if someone
can point me to some in depth "pppd" info, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

One last thing, I'm running FREEBSD 4.2 .

Thanks
Leo