Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:07:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Charles M. Hannum" <root@ihack.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Competition

> It's possible that's true -- though frankly it isn't worth my time to
> look.  However, you *did*, e.g., stand next to me in Monterey and
> utter such things as `that's why we [FreeBSD] did an Alpha port'

... And you have to take such remarks in context, Charles.  When I say
something like this, it's generally in explanation as to why a
FreeBSD/alpha port even exists, regardless of who might have written
what bits.

It would be more accurate but far less wieldy for me to say "that's
why we [FreeBSD] did an Alpha port, which by the way was largely done
by various members of the NetBSD project in association with
Carnegie-Mellon University and subsequently integrated by Andrew
Gallatin, Doug Rabson, John Birrell and others."  If I absolutely,
positively wanted to avoid offending anyone (and I'd probably still
leave somebody off and end up doing so anyway), I could be this
painfully politically correct but it wouldn't make my speeches any
shorter.

> That's marginally true, but the fact is that many people expect --
> and, indeed, using a `Berkeley-style' license *require* -- a certain
> level of recognition for their work.

Which is what the copyright lines are for since nothing else
adequately documents the long historical trail of who wrote what.
Authors are expected to claim their due recognition through the
process of putting "Copyright (c) <year> Joe Hacker" somewhere in the
comments at the top of of their source files and most in search of
such recognition do so.  Just doing a ``more /sys/alpha/alpha/*.c''
will show any newcomer to the BSD world just who authored some of the
more key elements of FreeBSD/alpha.

Speaking from historical experience, I don't think anyone in the *BSD
community goes significantly out of their way to remember or
acknowledge all the little details of who did what and that's simply
because there are too frickin' many people and groups to remember and
acknowledge, not out of spite.  The ports collection is a fine example
of this since I doubt that anyone over in NetBSD remembers just who
came up with it back in August of 1994, at least I've never heard the
origins of the "NetBSD packages collection" acknowledged in any
NetBSD-related talks I've attended, but that doesn't get my undies in
a bunch.  Anyone genuinely interested in the origins of things like
the ports collection can read the top of bsd.port.mk, see the
copyright, and browse the CVS logs (at least in FreeBSD) for the
history of its evolution.  That's good enough for this author!

- Jordan