Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:10:27 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > > Anyway, the problem is that when running as a server (started with
> > > '/usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp'), ppp doesn't seem to exit properly when
> > > carrier is lost. There's nothing suggesting it actually detects the loss
> > > of CD when I pull the (line) plug on the modem, and about 3 minutes later
>
> Just to complicate things, one of the links just went down so I kill
> -TERM'd the ppp process at the originating router. This is what things
> look like at the other end now:
>
>  9999  ??  I      0:00.13 /usr/local/sbin/mgetty cuaa1
> 10055  ??  I      0:00.13 /usr/local/sbin/mgetty cuaa4
>
> mgetty running, it appears carrier loss has been detected on both lines...
>
> 10056  ??  Ss     0:00.27 /usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp
> 16792  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp
>
> unfortunately, ppp is still running. ;-(

How about setting up a diagnostic port (set server ...) and
connecting to the dodgy processes ?  Are you perhaps using the ``set
mode'' command to change the mode of the incoming links - stopping
ppp from exiting ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>