Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2019 09:13:44 -0500
From:      Chris Kiakas <chris@tellme3times.com>
To:        Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 804, Issue 5

<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Though personally I migrated away from Windows to Linux (I found BSD =
too
> clunky to use and CPU hungry for desktop use, where it could be
> installed.  Where as modern Linux's, just load and run with minimal
> effort, and are well understood, supported and stable.)  That was =
after
> the great W10 force-feeding saga, where they filled my C drive to the
> point that the system would not even boot.  DESPITE, their own
> compatibility trial saying that my combo' of CPU and GPU were not
> compatible with W10!.  (AMD and ATI-Rage+)
>=20
>=20
> But I have to say, that for most people BSD is not an option for a
> desktop "daily driver", except perhaps in the form of an Apple MAC! =20=

> But how much time and money did Apple invest in getting it that way?

I normally don=E2=80=99t answer emails that pertain to personal choices =
but it just annoys me to no end to hear how good all these systems are =
then I am hounded to solve issues pertaining to these systems.

First and foremost, there is no system out there that doesn=E2=80=99t =
require some intervention from a knowledgable person to configure so it =
meets the use of the user. I cannot mention how many times people =
abandoned hardware for no good reason because they couldn=E2=80=99t find =
a driver for it. This same hardware continued to function many years =
later without any issue or incidents powered by standards in the BSD or =
Linux community. I see people throwing good money away because they =
don=E2=80=99t understand simple configuration options in their computing =
environment. The simplicity of Windows and Mac have allowed me to live a =
very comfortable lifestyle. The fees I charge fixing these easy to use =
systems are never produced by FreeBSD replacements. It feels like =
FreeBSD fails when the hardware fails.

Don=E2=80=99t get me wrong. The proper tool for the proper job. Windows, =
Mac, Linux, *BSD and any other OS require knowledge for them to work =
efficiently and accordingly to our needs. IoT devices and cell phones =
are a prime example of everything that is wrong with this world. If for =
any reason you require a service from the device that the manufacturer =
does not believe you should have access to even though the device is =
capable of, you are blocked from implementing it. They are not easy to =
use they are limited in their functionality and designed to be broken on =
delivery. This is the direction Windows is going and to some extent Mac.

For me computers are a tool to accomplish tasks. I prefer a tool that I =
use for the intended purpose rather than something that screams bells =
and whistles and yet is not appropriate for it=E2=80=99s purposes. As an =
example Windows 10, it=E2=80=99s telemetry. Cell phones and the =
restriction imposed on the user such as call recording and app =
permissions designed more for marketing purposes rather than the owner. =
Mac=E2=80=99s abandonment of 32bit code.

Linux, I feel, is headed in the same direction. What you describe as =
ease of use I describe as hidden configuration options that when broken =
by some force are difficult to put back into place. Most of the time =
more difficult than systems that don=E2=80=99t make the claim. Many on =
occasion I have had to search for undocumented changes to some obscure =
file that isn=E2=80=99t quite performing as =E2=80=9Cnormal=E2=80=9D and =
there is no option in the settings to fix such behaviour. I have come to =
expect that from Windows and now it=E2=80=99s creeping into Linux =
despite the KISS adage, Linux is no longer keeping it simple. I can=E2=80=99=
t count the number of times that systemd broke a configuration that was =
in place because of some update. I never had that experience for the =
KISS text files. At least what I saw in the files was the configuration =
that existed in the live environment.

It is my experience that with FreeBSD and the Linux versions that =
don=E2=80=99t implement systemd a simple configuration file will last =
for the lifetime of the system. Systems that hide the configuration =
options under supposedly simple interfaces often require intervention =
and break just because of the convoluted desire to hide options. If you =
don=E2=80=99t believe me look at Windows 10 and Oulook email setup when =
the user=E2=80=99s account is not his email address or the convoluted =
way that Win10 pushes you to create a Microsoft account.

It takes me less time to load and run a FreeBSD system than Windows. God =
forbid I need to migrate a Windows system to new hardware. Never a =
problem with the *BSD=E2=80=99s or the Linux distributions without =
systemd.=20

>=20
> Cheers All.
>=20
> Dave B.
>=20
>=20
> On 06/11/2019 12:00, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
>> "exfat" is certainly a good choice; however, I would not rule out =
NTFS