Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:57:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: UserConfig is broken + PS/2 support success

> MCA
> bit 5	0 Enable mouse.
> 	1 Disable mouse by forcing the mouse serial clock line low.
> 	  Data cannot be sent to or received from the mouse.
> bit 1	0 Do not send interrupt when mouse output buffer full.
> 	1 Mouse output buffer full causes interrupt (IRQ 12).
>
> Now, the question is which speicification modern non-MCA mother boards
> follow and we should honor.

They honor the PS/2 specification.

Specifically, the Windows 95 DDK Keyb/Samples/vkd/vad.asm, they make calls
to VM_Int.  Disassembly of the target address in VMM.VXD shows that
they treat bits 5 and 1 as you suggest.

An interesting side note:  A PNP Win95 box will *bogusly* assign INT
12 to other devices, in conflict with the PS/2 mouse.  It seems that
they don't see the mouse  during the boot cycle.  The FreeBSD PNP
code should take the mouse into account.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.