Date:      Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:11:07 +0800
From:      sam <sam.wun@tech-21.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to update my system

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:35 AM, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
>

>> Reboot into single user mode, remount root with mount -u, then:
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> make installworld
>

> I keep seeing this, and its all fine and dandy, I even understand
> some of the reasons why its a good idea.
>
> But friends, I, and probably a million other people, run FreeBSD in
> colo space, and in my case, its a 3000 mile
> trip (across the ocean, so I can't even drive) to go visit the poor
> machines.
>
> So, what about a short discussion on the risks of ignoring the
> request to go to single-user?
>
> and yeah, I know about serial consoles.

I guess you are talking about binary update. This had been discuessed
million times in the newsgroup. I feel that if you have a handy tool of
binary update thru the www, that will be able to bring you a happy
profit. There was an open-source server code called binary update, it
keeps in private sector now. That company is using it offers service to
freebsd community. If you want to join them you can pay them a fair
amount of dollars then you can have your freebsd system binary update
regularly thru their server.

Sam