Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:45:56 -0800
From:      "VPM Support Staff" <staff@vpm.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't get network to work

Hi all:

I've read the docs, FAQ, Handbook, searched  the mailling and newsgroups and
have not found what I need to resolve this problem.  So here I am...

I just installed 2.2.5-Release from CD-ROM.  Everything installed fine.  But
I'm having problems with the ipfw stuff.  Even though it's not enabled, ipfw
is still 'deny all from any to any', which denies access to ping,
traceroute, route etc.  Enabling 'allow all from any to any' as a rule fixes
this problem, but now I can't ping the router even though netstat -rn shows
it to be the default gateway.  I want to keep the firewall stuff enabled in
the kernel and control it from ipfw, but it appears I'm missing something.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark