Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

On 24 Jul, Dave Glowacki wrote:
= > On 24 Jul, Wilko Bulte wrote:
= > = AFAIK the  FreeBSD project tries  to take  gcc & friends  as-is as
= > = much as possible.
= >
= > As  I've  indicated  a  couple  of  times,  I  personally  found  an
= > optimization bug non-reproduceable on Linux (Mandrake).
[...]
= But is it non-reproduceable?

Take a look at the PR I mentioned already:
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=19245

= Were both  FreeBSD and Mandrake using  the exact same version  of gcc?
= Did the Mandrake version have any Linux-specific patches applied?

At least, gcc -v shows nothing special. It is all in the PR. If Mandrake
does apply some fixes, may be, FreeBSD needs to do so too? This is worth
investigating, instead of discounting with "don't use optimization".

	-mi