Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 02:12:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kodak DC280, read as a disk via USB?

> Is it possible to transfer images from a Kodak DC280 digital camera via
> USB to FreeBSD?  The archives mention using ophoto, from
> http://www.fromme.com/ophoto/ , but that website appears to be dead.  I'm
> currently using gphoto, but it only uses the serial port and is painfully
> slow (a transfer is in progress right now).
>
> I'd be quite happy with merely the ability to copy the images straight
> from the camera to disk over USB, if such is possible?

Haven't tried it on FBSD, but I use USB from my DC240 (same protocol as
DC280, I believe) to my Linux box using gphoto.  Linux has a USB driver
for the DC2xx series of cameras - I'd imagine it's just a matter of
figuring out the "goofy stuff" in that driver and porting that over to the
FBSD USB framework, if it's not already done somewhere.  Fortunately,
Kodak has been quite helpful in getting their stuff to run with operating
systems that actually work... :)

mike