Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:43:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Chris Silva <ras@interaccess.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdbm

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Chris Silva wrote:

> Hi,
> 	How well does gdbm work?  I am using TCL 7.6 and get a no command
> found when doing a gdbm_open (I Think)

gdbm is a library, but the error you mention, "no command found", is
very often printed when executing a script.  The first line of a script
often has:

#!<interpreter>

if <interpreter> happens to be "sh" (for most shell scripts) then the
line would be:

#!/bin/sh

For another example, perl scripts have:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

You get the error if any part of the interpreter path is incorrect (if
the startup code can't locate the interpreter to start it off).  Tcl
scripts are very prone to this, because there are so many different
versions of tcl, and the name of the executeable, "wish", is renamed on
some systems as "wish7.6", and tcl scripts that just have "wish" in them
give the error you saw.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).