Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 21:13:54 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A wild idea on the "dup alloc" and "bad dir" panics...

From: Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>

   This is just a wild thought I had...

    We've eliminated different processors, different disk drives,
   different memory configurations, etc... in an attempt to determine
   what's common about the machines experiencing these problems.

    The item that's common for my two machines experiencing the
   problem that we haven't investigated is:

	   Hercules Monochrome Monitor

    I know it's *really* reaching here, but can everyone who's involved
   let me know what kind of monitor they've got connected...  Maybe
   there's something in that device driver that's trashing some random
   memory, or this happens during a scroll, or something like that...
   [It is a far stretch, admitedly, but it would explain why this only
   occurs on a small subset of machines...]

    Anyway, just a thought...

We have mostly vga cards (most of them ISA, but I think this also happens
in PCI display adapter systems).  I do not think any of the offending
machines has a hercules mono card.

	   - Dave Rivers -

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276