Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:26:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ordering of isa_devtab_tty important?

Bruce Evans writes:

[stuff deleted]

> The support for syscons and pcvt in the same kernel broke it :(.
> find_display() in isa.c requires display devices to be before serial
> devices, not to mention before devices in isa_devtab_tty that aren't
> really ttys.  It could abuse the `sensitive_hw' flag to select the
> display devices.  Display devices aren't sensitive, but the sensitive_hw
> flag is set for them so that they get probed early so that they don't
> appear to be used before they are detected.

So we need to fix config so that we can tell it what devices are able
to serve as a console, and to make it put the real console devices in front
of the serial ports in the table, and the other, non colsole able, at the end
of the table.. I think we might be asking for trouble having config put
together the list based upon the order it occurs in the file.

Maybe we should have another flag to indicate the relative ordering among
console devices(or any other devices for that matter).

> >Just for your information. The symptom of my non-booting kernel was that
> >as soon as the cart-wheel stopped spinning, my modem lights would indicate
> >TX/RX, my floppy would start to twirl and the hard drives would be accessed
> >a couple of times. Some time the screen would go black and the come back
> >as it normally does, however you never saw the version[] getting printed
> >nor any of the device probe messages.
>
> This happens because sio0 becomes the console.  You should get a login
> prompt if the boot succeeds and you wait a little longer.

Hm, even if the second device in the table is sc0? I guess I would expect the
code just to walk down the table until it finds a console it can talk to rather
than using sio0 if the first one failed(this does make it more predictable
though :-)).

> Bruce

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)