Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:59:53 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        joe@via.net (Joe McGuckin)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED

Joe McGuckin wrote:
> I can login as root. programs that are linked static run ok. Dynamic linked
> apps die with the following message:

I had a similar situation with 2.2.5 recently caused by bad hardware (an
old 486) which created a lot of disk errors which fsck "fixed" by moving
whole slabs of the disk to lost+found. On one occasion it blew away
most of /usr. I could log in as root, but just about anything else
ended in tears. I tried different disks, thinking that was the problem.
Then I swapped out the motherboard.

Your problem might be different, but it's worth checking if all the
required directories still exist; and if they contain the usual files.
If you've got lots of lost+found entries, you can be there are missing
files.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137