Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:26:52 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>, Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ENOBUFS

Oh, I *thought* the numbers you reported were pps but now i see that
nowhere you mentioned that.

But if things are as you say, i am seriously puzzled on what you
are trying to measure -- the output interface (fxp) is a 100Mbit/s
card which cannot possibly support the load you are trying to offer
to saturate the input link.

You should definitely clarify how fast the smartbits unit is pushing
out traffic, and whether its speed depends on the measured RTT.

It might well be that what you are
seeing is saturation of ipintrq, which happens because of some
strange timing issue -- nothing to do with the board.

In any case, at least in my experience, a 1GHz box with two em
cards can easily forward between 350 and 400kpps (64-byte frames) with a
4.6-ish kernel, and a 2.4GHz box goes above 650kpps.

	cheers
	luigi