Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:42:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        CKimmerl@SARCOM.COM
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 CKimmerl@SARCOM.COM wrote:

> You people are so far into this stuff that you don't know what "easy" means
> anymore.  I tried to install FreeBSD 3.3 last night.  It was the most
> difficult install I've ever seen.  Problems?  How would I know- I never knew

one of my friend, a teacher is using the 'custom' install of FreeBSD
without any problem and she has never been specially trained to use
FreeBSD or any other unix.

> what it was doing.  It installed, I just didn't know what.  It is so geared
> towards unix experienced geeks that a person unfamiliar with Unix is totally
> lost.  Microsoftcopy sucks but they've got no competition from unix yet.  No

dont try to compare microsoft products with unix, you'll never been able
to do with nt what you can do with unix.

> one can understand it and unix people can't make it understandable.  I
> picked stuff from the menu, but the interface sucked so bad I wasn't sure
> what I had installed.  I was so pissed that I erased it.  I chose FreeBSD

You were right, FreeBSD is more stable than Linux, but perhaps that you
dont need the reliability of FreeBSD. Linux is ok as a workstation but
I wouldn't rely on if for a server heavily loader.

> over Linux because it is supposed to be more stable, but only a hacker geek
> can install this OS.  I'll try Linux, maybe it will be more easily

I installed a redhat linux last week and I can see any real difference
with the freeBSD installation program and the redhat one. except that FreeBSD
one is more powerful in case of problem (I had to reinstall redhat twice
due to a problem with lilo)

> understood.  Greg Lehay's book was useless- it was so far up in geek land it
> was amazing.  Of course, what can you expect from a guy who speaks 3
> languages and went to school for chemistry, etc.  He can't write beginner

I speak 3 languages and went to school for chemistry too.

> books, that's for sure.  Throughout the entire installation I found myself
> wondering how anybody figures this shit out.  I'd appreciate any "PRACTICAL"
> help as I do not want to give up on FreeBSD.

I think that you should consider the polite approach, to try to explain
you problems and find people to help you.

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net