Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:06:52 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Peng HaiJie <phj@www.transfar.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.5 mail problem (keep crashing)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday,  8 January 1999 at 16:52:58 +0000, Peng HaiJie wrote:
> > Malartre wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I upgraded to Netscape 4.5 on my FreeBSD 2.2.8 system.
> >> Netscape himself is really more robust.
> >> But not the mail application. It's nicer, but it keep crashing.
> >> (exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
> >> And can someone explain me why both program are in one program? When the
> >> mail crash, netscape crash too. Argh.
> >> And sometime, it simply crash when getting mail.
> >> Am I the only one? Do there is a know problem?
> >
> > Try give more memory to yourself ,I'm sure that it would not crash often.
> >
> > in login.conf:
> >
> > default:\
> > :cputime=infinity:\
> > :datasize-cur=40M:\
> >            ^^^^^^^^
> > :stacksize-cur=8M:\
> > :memorylocked-cur=10M:\
> > :memoryuse-cur=30M:\
> > :filesize=infinity:\
> > :coredumpsize=infinity:\
> > :maxproc-cur=256:\
> > :openfiles-cur=256:\
> > :priority=0:\
> > :requirehome@:\
> > :umask=022:\
> > :tc=auth-defaults:
>
> I don't use (nor recommend) netscape mail, but I had a visitor who
> did, and he reported the same problems.  I checked login.conf, and
> datasize-cur was set to 64 MB.  So if the problem is memory, you'll
> need even more.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
And how about
xuser:\
        :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/X11R6/man /usr/local/man:\
        :cputime=4h:\
        :datasize=12M:\
?
I will change to 24M.
Anyway, is there a way to know "why it crashed"? I mean, netscape.core
is not created for nothing, neh?
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]
[French piss me off - Cartman, South Park]