Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 07:13:33 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC with the new ATA* driver?

David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Irrespective of all the valid reasons to allow for wiring (but not
> >mandate), static drive numbering is not BIOS compatible (thus, not
> >DOS compatible). This violates POLA.
>
> I'm at least as much against POLA violations as anyone... but the real
> POLA violation I see is the apparent dependence on the BIOS, since it is
> "controlled" by a process external to the UNIX environment.

It is not a matter of dependence (which, obviously, does not exist).
Is a matter of:

1) Doing the same as "everyone else" (meaning, here, the most common
background for newbies; if one is not a newbie, POLA doesn't comes
into play for this particular issue).

2) Having the OS see disks in the same way/ordering as the program
that boot it does, *unless explicitly instructed otherwise*.

> "DOS compatability" is not one of my concerns; I have difficulty imagining
> a universe in which it would become one.  Indeed, if someone were to
> claim "DOS compatibility" for something, I would have no way of knowing
> what that was supposed to imply, since I'm nearly completely unfamiliar
> with DOS.  (The few times I've tried to use it, I would get different
> results from the same actions on my part, so I gave up.)

:-)

> And yes, I realize that neither my experiences nor perspective may be
> representative of anyone else.

Which, unfortunately, plays a part in POLA.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker."