Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:26:39 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 1T HDD

On 3/19/21 10:08 AM, Paul Procacci wrote:
> I concur with Robert.  I've never seen GPT being associated with any kind
> of GUI.  Surely people can design GUI's around gpt, but GPT isn't at all
> synonymous with a GUI.
> There are advantages of GPT over MBR.  The main benefit in my opinion is
> that GPT removes the limits of MBR.
> Describing what those limits are is much too cumbersome to do in an email,
> but I assure you that information is available online.

As others have pointed out, don't forget partition labels.  It is
considerably easier to figure out what each partition is being used
for if they have been labeled in an obvious way:

$ gpart list | grep label
    label: gptboot0
    label: swap0
    label: zfs0
    label: ssd1
    label: m.2_ssd1

Especially if it has been some time since the last time you looked.

Russell