Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 01:25:36 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS DIFF fix for review (-L added)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:

> =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= wrote:
> > Since Index: is dead for context diffs, here is a patch to correct ***/---
> > pathnames generated by CVS (now using -L diff option like in rcsdiff).
> >
> > Since I not run CVS and don't know how to do its minimal setup, please
> > test and check is it really fix the problem.
> >
> > I plan commit it after feedback from you.
>
> This change is a dead end.  The current version of cvs does not call diff,
> rcs, rcsdiff, patch or anything like that.  This should be taken up with
> the cvs folks on info-cvs@gnu.ai.mit.edu.

Dead end was touching "patch" previously which is POSIX violation.  CVS
Index: stuff on context diffs never work with any version of "patch"
excepting "fixed"  FreeBSD "patch". If you want correct pathnames, you
need to forget Index: and make proper ***/--- lines instead. It means that
only way to do it is to call diff/rcsdiff with -L parameter as done in
the patch. There is no other way exist. "rcs & patch & anything like that"
from your list not related to this subject. If you'll look into rcsdiff
sources, you'll see that -L used here, so this patch teach CVS to do what
RCS is already able to do in the same way as RCS. I agree that changes
must be sent to info-cvs.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>