Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nick Martin <nim@caerbanog.nimlabs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several Bugs

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Nick Martin wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE (last rebuilt on 990605-ish) and I have
> a number of problems:

First ofa ll, if you are running -stable, you should read, and post
problems to, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org.  -questions is targeted at
-RELEASEs.

> a) Time is slow. In 90 seconds of real time, the clock advances about 1
> second. This causes a number of problems with scripts, cron, etc, and is
> very annoying.

Try building with

options APM_BROKEN_STATCLOCK

> b) I cannot reboot. When I halt or reboot, does the usual halted by nim,
> syslog exited on signal 15, then hangs (although, I have only tested it
> for 3 min, so it may be related to problem a). It does not get to the
> point of unmounting drives, as next time I start up, it fscks. This is
> very bad, as I will be away and installed FreeBSD over Linux as I hoped
> it would be more "fire-and-forget"-able. Not being able to remotly
> reboot is very very annoying (of course, with luck, I won't need to, but
> still...)

This is very, very hard to debug.  It appears to afflict only
486-generation motherboards (which your K5 is).  Try building a kernel
with

options BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET

but if that doesn't work, you're out of luck, unless you're handy at
assembler.

> And now, all the relevent info. Running on an AMD K5-75, SCSI card
> (using the isp driver, and working great), 10/100 ether with the Tulip
> (de) driver, 32 MB RAM, etc. One point is that I installed and compiled
> it on a diff computer (Cyrix P200 (150 MHz)), but I recompiled the
> kernel (not the world) on the AMD.
>
> A dmesg that seems to relate to a:
> Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
> Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 74704326 Hz
> CPU AMD K5 model 0 (74.70-MHz 586-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x500  Stepping=0
>   Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>

I've seen TSC problems on P90s, I'm not sure it hits the K5s.

> Is there some way to adjust the Timecounter? How do I find out what it
> should be (I do have the motherboard manual around, somewhere, but I'd
> prefer not to have to look for it)

Actually, there is a sysctl to tune the TSC value.

> An unrelated question: I am pretty short on space on /usr, and I still
> have all the aout compatibity stuff there (I upgraded from
> 3.1-Release). Do I need it? Should I keep it? How do I get rid of it
> (cleanly) if no to the previous 2?

Keep what you think you'll use.

Doug White