Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:33:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

> > Why?  The native threading that we're using now is no better/worse than
> > the internal green threads implementation.  Without kernel threads,
> > native threads have *EXACTLY* the same sorts of problems that exist with
> > green threads.
>
> First, I'll say that I know very little about all of this, comparatively
> speaking.
>
> My understanding is that native threads were not dependent on kernel
> threads;  that is, native threads are there to, among other things,
> reduce I/O overhead.  I understand as much to know that to go SMP inside
> of the Java VM requires kernel threads.

Again, the internal green threads implementations uses the same tricks
as do native threads to reduce I/O overhead.

> But again, the way I understand it is that by talking to a VM built
> around pthreads, that some performance gains can be had.  So I guess
> that (until SMPng becomes a reality) what I'm asking is whether a native
> VM build exists around pthreads.

It's getting close, but as I stated above, for now it doesn't help much
other than make it easier to port things such as HotSpot which use the
PTHREADS API, unlike the JVM which allows you to use the older green
threads technology.

Also, JDK1.4 no longer has the green threads support, so we must use
the native threads API.

Nate