Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:46:48 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TTY task group scheduling

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 06:23:24PM +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> On Thu Nov 18 10, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> > on 18/11/2010 13:04 O. Hartmann said the following:

> > > Well,
> > > it would be nice to have those improvements in FreeBSD, but I doubt this will make
> > > it in due time to FreeBSD's kernel.
> >
> > Well, I think that those improvements apply only to a very specific usage pattern
> > and are greatly over-hyped.
>
> you think so? judging from the videos the changes are having a huge impact imo.
>
> cheers.
> alex
>
> btw: i posted a similar thread on freebsd-backers@, but nobody seemed
> interested in it. subject line is "sched_autogroup_enabled".

FWIW, this /. post pretty much sums up my opinion of this scheduler
change (though I admit something could be learned from it):

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1870628&cid=34241622

Specifically, the quote: "process grouping is too difficult to be done
based on such simplistic criteria".

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |