Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:05:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        h.wickhorst@elmshorn.netsurf.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   solved: Re: [2.1R] ppp -auto works only after a non-auto connection terminated

Henning Wickhorst writes:
>sachs@interactive.net wrote:
>: I can connect via ppp directly no problem; after closing that
>: connection, ppp -auto then works.
>: However, if I try to run ppp -auto before making and breaking that
>: first connection, I get "host is down" or "unavailable" messages, and
>: no attempted dialup. My provider gives me dynamic IP.

>I think after the first call your routed has build some routing tables,
>so your second call (-auto) is using that routing information.
>Try 'netstat -rn' before and after your first manuell call. I am very
>sure there will be a big diferece. If you would wait a longer time
>between both calls, your second call will fail becaurse the routing
>tables have been deleted.

No, netstat -rn showed the same thing both before establishing and after
breaking that first PPP connection. Like you, based on the behavior, I
assumed that this must have been the problem. But it wasn't.

It turns out that the combination of two of your suggestions fixed
things. First was

>: ### /etc/sysconfig
>I Don't have 'tun0' in my 'network_interfaces' line.
>I have no 'ifconfig_tun0' line.
>Having both lines in my '/etc/sysconfig' gave my a lot of strange
>problems with ppp. You should take it away.

Indeed. I removed them.

The second was the 'set ifaddr' line in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
Based on your setup:

>I'm using 'set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 privider.ip'

I changed:
   set ifaddr  0 208.192.224.5
to:
   set ifaddr 208.192.224.0/24

and all connects fine. Perhaps that could even be
   set ifaddr 0/0 208.192.224.5
but since it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it :)

Thank you, Henning.

-jay

--
Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>