Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:29:44 +0300
From:      "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@gmail.com>
To:        "Peter Jeremy" <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Hello Peter and everybody,

Sorry for continuing this thread, but let's not forgot the security
aspect of this issue:
If you run amd on some host configured to automount USB drives, it's
easy to force DoS attack. Just insert the flash/HDD and remove it
short after it's mounted.

Sure, it's almost close to ability of just pulling off power cable or
pressing reset, but still a problem. Even if nobody will put out the
USB stick, just in case of a Flash with dead blocks  on it or just
badly formatted one it's too easy to get totally unexpected panics.

I'd rather consider this problem as security one.

Is there any correct way to initiate funding to rewrite VM/VFS related
parts (getting non-panicable removable devices)? Who should one
contact for this?

PS. Happy sysadmin day! *drink*

--
Dennis Melentyev